Bronkhorstspruit power back

Written by Administrator. Posted in News

Power had been restored to the Bronkhorstspruit area after a substation was knocked out for two days by lightning, the Tshwane metro said on Wednesday.

Metro spokesperson Pieter de Necker said power had been restored to all the affected areas of Bronkhorstpruit and Zithobeni township.

The power supply to the area was being monitored.

The area had experienced a total power outage since Sunday night after the Cathie Street substation in Bronkhorstspruit substation was hit by lightning.

As a result of the power failure, water to several areas could also not be provided and water tankers were supplied.

DA spokesperson Fred Nel said the power failure could have been averted had proper lightning protection been installed.

“The electricity network has not been maintained up to standard by municipalities who skimp on maintenance in order to save costs,” said Nel.

“The Bronkhorstspruit incident is a case in point where proper lightning protection was not installed.”

Nel has called on Gauteng local government MEC Humphrey Mmemezi to “initiate an immediate audit on the state of Gauteng’s electricity network”. – Sapa